We sang a hymn from our hymn book in
church on Sunday that I was not familiar with, so I check to see how old it
was. I was surprised to see that it was a recent hymn, written by Wei-fan Wang,
a Chinese I believe, in 1982. The title of the hymn is, “Holy Spirit Is like
the Wind.” It is a long hymn of five stanzas and fully covers two pages in the
hymn book. If it had ten stanzas we would have sung all of them. I have been
singing hymns here for five years here in China and we have not skipped a
stanza yet.
I love hymns because most are rich
in content and focus more on God than does our modern music which has more of a
focus on us. I especially love singing hymns in China because we have only a
piano with about 600 worshippers singing their hearts out. For me this is
worship. In America it becomes entertainment if you can even find a church that
sings hymns and with only a piano. Before each service we spend 20 to 30
minutes practicing the hymns we will sing. Try to get an American congregation
to come early to do that.
This hymn caught my attention
because of its content. Each stanza described what the Holy Spirit was like. He
was described like the wind, a spring, the oil, a sword, and the fire. Each
stanza then explained how the likeness was a benefit to our life. For example:
“Holy Spirit is like the fire, Purifying the dregs of life; Like the bright
light that shines our way, Clearing our sight from doubt and fear. Purge me
Lord, oh, purge me clean; Guide me thro’ pathway of your love. May I become
Your golden tool, A bide in Your light and flame of love.” To “bide in” suggest
that we remain in his light and flame of love from which we serve as his golden
tool.

No comments:
Post a Comment