Monday, September 13, 2010

Much Water

The clouds rolled into north Texas late Tuesday from hurricane Hermine and deposited about four inches of rain during the night. The warm moist air then encountered some cooler air from the north, increasing the intensity of the rain. Measurements of twelve or more inches were common along the storm path. McKinney was kind of on the edge and maybe got around seven inches, enough to make my front yard a very big puddle.

By the time I had gotten home to take the above picture the rain had stopped and the puddle had lowered by several inches, but it was still impressive being several feet deep.

There is a culvert at the bottom of the vortex which I designed to drain excess water which might gather, as in the above picture, during intense storms. As the storage area fills up it overflows and drains away into a pond below it, which drains into two other ponds. As the rain slows down or stops the culvert drains any accumulated water.

It was kind of fun to see the water coming through the culvert under the road and across my lawn. I have seen storms that have caused the water to exceed the capacity of the road culvert and flow across the road. When it is raining hard there is water flowing from both the left and right into this stream. That had stopped by the time I had gotten home.

No comments: