Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sunday

My day started at 3:00 am, which was much too early and since I couldn’t sleep I got up and wrote about what Mike and I did on Saturday. Later Mike got up; we took care of personal things, had breakfast and caught the 521 bus at about 8:00 am. Normally we would take the 510, but they are usually packed. With the 521 starting at our bus stop we had no problem getting a seat. We rode it for several miles to where I knew from experience the 510 would not be so full and got off. There happened to be a 510 there so we got on and continued on to our bus stop near church. I was carrying all those books I had brought all the way from the US and so the half mile walk from the bus stop to church was good exercise.

Church was a bit light in attendance because of the coming fall holiday and the choir number was not very well done, but it provided Mike with an idea of what church was like there. After church I introduced Mike to various people, gave the books to the family of eight girls and one boy, and talked with Joy about our teaching together. Plans are for me to start on Tuesday, October 14. Jiajing’s parents were waiting for us after church. Mike and I were to go to dinner with them and a close friend of theirs who speaks English.

The first restaurant we went to was closed to the public because of a very large wedding. We went to another large restaurant and found another large wedding there, but they did have a room left over and so we ate there. The decorations at the restaurant for the wedding and the meal we had I believe made a big impression on Mike. The meal was excellent and we had a great time sitting around the table eating and talking. There was more food than we could eat and all of it was delicious. Good Chinese food!

We left the restaurant and drove to the Hubei Provincial Museum, located in the East Lake Resort of Wuhan. (Picture taken from our ticket)


The museum is a new facility and is a great place to visit. There is so much history to be found there and is very well presented. The picture shown below is a scale model of a dig where many artifacts were found. These artifacts were displayed around the museum.


There was so much to see there and I have so many pictures. I will give only one example.


At the end of the day there was a performance on a very cool set of instruments. I have several video clips that are great.


We left the museum and went out and walked through a park near East Lake. The next stop was supper. It was another great meal that was delicious. Mike did very well with his chopsticks and truly enjoyed the food. From this little restaurant they took us home. We were left at our gate with a large supply of fruit. It was a day we will long remember. It was a great day of Chinese culture.