Monday, September 22, 2008

Summer Break

After writing 112 blog entries in connection with my spring trip, I decided it was time to take a vacation. I find that it takes a fair amount of effort to write something each day and I was growing a little bit weary. For the small number that read it each day, some ask me why I spend the time and energy. There have been times when I have asked myself that same question, but I find the discipline is good for me and some have told me that they really enjoy that connection with what I am doing and experiencing. There are things I would like to write about, things I have experienced, but to protect others I can’t.

Jiajing – her English name is Emmy – accompanied me when I returned from China on July 21. It is not often you have to file two lost luggage reports on one trip, but we did and we saw God show his hand in ways that stretched our faith and pointed out to us the joy of knowing the love our Father has for us. The luggage was recovered. For the month between arriving in the US and going to school, Jiajing spent time becoming acquainted with my family and the western culture. She has truly become part of the family. She has also learned firsthand some of my experience in going and living in the Chinese culture. Several times she has commented on how willing and easily I settled into her culture. She seems to have a harder time eating American food than I do eating Chinese food. I decided from the beginning to eat whatever is placed in front of me and never ask what it was. It is not the taste that necessarily gets you; it is the thought of what you are eating that causes the problem most of the time.

The time Jiajing spent with us went by much too fast and soon it was time to take her to school. She is attending Stephen F Austin State University at Nacogdoches, TX. In many ways it was like taking one of our own daughters. We provided her with a cell phone and added her to our family plan, making it easy for either of us to call the other, which happens almost daily. Sometimes instead of using the cell phone we use Skype, which adds a visual effect to our conversation. From time to time I will see if I can’t persuade her to contribute to some of these entries.

With Jiajing off to school I am reminded that I will soon be off to China again. As I write this I have exactly two weeks left in the US and then my son Mike will join me in Chicago and we will fly together over the top of the earth to Wuhan, China. He will spend a week with me seeing the sights, trying to eat things that I am sure he thinks shouldn’t be eaten, and seeing what I spend my time doing while I am there. I am sure it will be a great time. Maybe I can convince him to write a blog entry expressing his experience in China.