Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Trials That Test Us – 4


With all the other activities going on I never got to this blog entry on time. I have one more diagram from lesson one I would like to show.



We know that we are going to experience trials and that they are going to be painful. We also know that with a right relationship with God we can experience joy in our lives regardless of what we are going through. Since joy is a characteristic of God’s love (Galatians 5:22) it is not determined by external events.

Consider the red crossbar. It is our choice as to where it is positioned. We can position it at the bottom and focus on our trials and experience pain or we can position the crossbar at the top and focus on God and experience joy. For most the crossbar is probably somewhere in between and is probably not fixed in position but may tend to move as our focus drifts. Peter’s walk on water was an example of focus. As long as his focus was on Jesus, water was a good surface to walk on, but when his focus turned to the storm, the water was not so firm under his feet.

This diagram became real to me one day when I was having a very painful medical procedure done. The doctor asked his nurse to hold my hand to help get me through the pain. I quickly learned that when I focused on her and talked with her I felt no pain, but when I thought about the doctor cutting a piece of bone out of my hip the pain was almost more than I could stand. I very quickly learned the importance of staying focused on the nurse and thus on God in my diagram during times of trial.

No comments: