Monday, December 21, 2009

Router Table

Today we will open the last package and set up the router table.

Inside the box is an insert that slides out with eight compartments; actually nine because the table top is underneath all the pieces we see on top.

I opened the operator's manual - which is not in the picture because I already took it out for reading material while I ate breakfast - and turned to the setup section as a guide and went to work. I laid all the parts on the carpet in the office where it was warmer that in the shop.

After a short time of enjoyable setup the job was done.

The above picture has the new router mounted under the table with a bit extending up through the table. The five plastic rings are for different size bits. Notice the blue bit with the ring that would be used with it. The box on the left shows a collection of bits for various routing jobs. Let us peek under the table to see the router.

By removing two screws the router can be removed from the table and then removing three more screws the mounting plate can be removed from the router. Three screws are then added to secure the base to the router for normal use away from the table.

The easy part is done. I now have to plan my work and learn how to safely and efficiently use these new tools. By the time I am too old to use them I should know how to use them very well. At least I hope so as I am looking forward to 20 more years to reach the average death age of past family members.

I am convinced that the best part of my life lies ahead. I say that because of all I have learned from the past that I can apply to what I do in the future. Maybe your life is in the valley just now and not on the mountain top. Might I remind you that growth takes place in the lush valley, not on the mountain top. If you are in a tough spot just now, that is a good place to be because from there you start your climb to the mountain top. If you are on top of the mountain I am afraid it is downhill all the way from there and I am pretty sure you will experience some trying times as you head toward the valley. Before and after every mountain top experience there is a valley. There is just no getting around it.

As you can see, woodworking is my hobby and does require some expenditure of money from time to time. Other than disposables like bits and saw blades, this is my only expense for tools since I built this house five years ago. The bigger expense is for the wood I use. That can add up, but maybe someday I will sell my home for a good price and cover those costs. The profit from the first three houses I built paid for the house I now live in. A good return for many hours of hard work and a small investment in some tools.

No comments: