Monday was a very long day; long
because you get to live part of it twice. On the plane coming out of Shanghai
we flew toward the rising sun and before we knew it, it was night so we try to
get some sleep. You just get settled in and it is morning again on the same day
as the night before. We stretch and groan and get ready to try the day once
more. Finally we get to Chicago and on the plane to DFW only to experience the
same night we experienced coming out of Shanghai. By now the body doesn’t know
what day it is or why it is so dark when it is supposed to be daytime.
Because of dense smoke across China
from the farmers burning their fields, air traffic was really messed up. In
Shanghai we had to rebook the flights from Chicago to DFW because the flight
out of Shanghai was going to be delayed almost two hours. When we finally got
to Chicago, through customs and to our gate they were just starting to load the
plane. It was close.
We arrived at DFW around eleven,
just 25 hours after we left Wuhan, picked up our bags and headed home. I said
our bags because Zuhua came to the states with me to visit Jiajing for the
summer. She will return to China with me in the fall.
Connie is currently in Phoenix
watching our two grandchildren for the summer. I need to pick up some lose ends
here in Texas this week and then I will drive to western New York for another
summer work project with family. I really enjoy being with family there and
living on the farm where I grew up.
As I close this blog entry I wish to
comment on the Monday entry. I was told that I should not have mentioned a
relationship problem with Joy because too much was left to speculation. My work
in China requires that I spend much time with attractive young women. As
relationships deepen we establish family relations. That culture demands that
where the western culture seems to reject that idea. It is important to me to
have those family relations because they define what are appropriate feelings,
thoughts, and behavior. Any time those boundaries are encroached upon,
corrections are needed and made.
Joy1 and I had not made that family
connection yet because of her position as pastor. As a result I realized one
day that my feelings and thoughts were a little off track and I needed to confront
Joy and discuss what was happening and make necessary corrections. That is what
I was referencing in Monday’s blog entry. On Wednesday a blog will post that could
be misunderstood. It reveals what Joy and I did in making our adjustment. Some
will say that I should not post it, but I believe for some it might be
meaningful.
Too many people in leadership are
getting into sensual trouble. God has allowed me to see just enough to
understand this and the importance of proper safeguards. Through some
relationship struggles on this trip, God has been teaching me some valuable
lessons. The main one is that in any relationship are you enhancing the
holiness of the other even in your own mind? If you are not then you have a
problem that needs attention. It was that attention that I had to invest in on
this trip.

No comments:
Post a Comment